Signal is a encrypted messaging. It is more secure and private than its alternative WhatsApp, iMessage, Skype, etc.
Signal is a cross-platform encrypted messaging service developed by Signal Technology Foundation and Signal Messenger LLC.
It uses Internet to send one-to-one and group messages, that can include files, voice notes, images, and videos.
Signal is free to use and is available for both Android and iOS devices. There is also a Signal desktop client for Windows, Mac, and Linux. To use Signal app you just need a phone number.
Also Read: How to use Signal on your desktop or laptop?
Features of Signal App
Let’s see some of the features of Signal App.
- End-to-End Encryption
- Dark Mode
- Linked Devices
- Blur Faces
- Send a view once only image
- Turn off Typing Indicator
- Group Video Call on Desktop
- Registration Lock
- Screen Lock
- Disappearing Messages
- End-to-End Encryption: All communications on Signal (including messages, files, video and audio calls) are end-to-end encrypted.
- Dark Mode: You can change the theme of your app to dark. Go to setting >> Appearance >>Theme >> Dark.
- Linked Devices: You can link or unlink many devices (Windows, Mac or Linux). Go to Setting >> Linked Devices
- Blur Faces: You can blur faces automatically or manually that might be in a photo you share.
- Send a view once only image: Signal allows you to send images and recipient can view it once only.
Open and Chat >> Open Gallery >> Select any picture >> Click on circle option in the bottom before emoji >> 1x will enable >> Done recipient can see this image only once.
- Turn off Typing Indicators: You can turn off typing indicators in this app.
Go to setting >> Privacy >> Turn off Typing Indicators
- Group Video Call on Desktop: This app also offers users an option to make video calls on desktop. You just need to make a group by selecting contacts and then click on video call option.
- Registration Lock: PIN is required to register your phone number with Signal again if you turn on Registration lock.
Go to setting >> Privacy >> Turn off Registration Lock.
- Screen Lock: If you turn on Screen Lock then it is required to enter password for unlocking your app’s screen.
Go to setting >> Privacy >> Turn on Screen Lock
- Disappearing Messages: Open any chat >> Click on contact name >> Disappearing Messages >> Select time.
Is Signal Private and Secure?
All communications on Signal App (including group messages, one-to-one messages, files, video and voice calls) are end-to-end encrypted.
Any of user’s data is not stored in database of Signal, hence Signal could not see messages even if they wanted.
Signal actually created its own encryption protocol. So, everything on this app is encrypted always by default. This is very different from traditional messaging app.
In the given tweet from Signal, you can see the comparison of data collection by some of the popular apps.
So, you can see that Signal does not collect any of your data while Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are collecting huge data of their users.
Some FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Is Signal app really safe?
Yes, Signal provides very high standard security and privacy to their users does not even collect user’s data.
- Is Signal Safer than WhatsApp?
Yes, Signal provides you better security and privacy than WhatsApp, and does not even collect any of user’s data.
- Is Signal the most secure messaging app?
Yes, Signal is the most secure messaging app, and a best alternative of WhatsApp.
- Is Signal owned by Facebook?
No, Signal is a non-profitable organization which runs on donations. Hence, it is not owned by any company.
- Can Signal calls be tapped?
No, video and voice calls on Signal are end-to-end encrypted.
- Is Signal more secured than iMessage?
Yes, Signal is more secured than iMessage. As iMessage collects some of their user’s data but Signal does not collect any of their user’s data.
2 thoughts on “What is Signal App? Is Signal Private and Secure?”