Instagram added the Stories feature in 2016, which allows users to take photos, add effects and layers, and share them on their Instagram stories. While we usually see stories on the platform without any issues, sometimes we end up with a This story is unavailable error. If you are also seeing it, worry not; today, you will learn how you can fix This Story is Unavailable on Instagram.
What Does “This Story is Unavailable” Mean on Instagram?
There can be many reasons for the This Story is Unavailable message, including the following:
Weak Internet connection
The most likely reason for the issue is that you are receiving slow internet connectivity from the service provider. As Instagram needs too much data to load, if your connection is fluctuating, you might see an error.
There is a high chance that you are seeing the “Instagram Stories unavailable” error because the story has been deleted. If a user deletes their story but it’s loaded for you, you can still visit the red circle. But when you open it, you will not see the story; instead, you will see an error message stating, “This story is unavailable.”
Story Disappeared or Expired
There might be chances that the story on the platform has disappeared or expired. For the unaware, Instagram Stories automatically disappear after 24 hours once you post them.
Sometimes, due to bugs, you will see the story, but when you try to open it, the only thing you will see is an error.
You’re Blocked By Them
There might be a chance that the user has blocked you recently. If that’s the case, you can visit their profile to confirm if you are blocked or not.
Instagram occasionally faces downtime, and if this is the case, you might see a “This Story is Unavailable” error on Instagram.
You Muted the User
If you have muted a user on Instagram, their updates won’t display on your home screen. And when you try to see them, you might see an unavailable error.
There are several other reasons responsible for the error, including that the Story is for closed friends, there is a glitch, the account has been deactivated, etc.
How to Fix This Story is Unavailable on Instagram?
Now that you know what This Story is Unavailable means on Instagram, you might be wondering how to fix it. Read on to check for all possible troubleshooting fixes.
Refresh the Feed
Many times, Instagram shows the feed from the previous session that you were surfing, which might also show stories that are no longer available. It usually happens when you forget to remove the app from the background. If this is the case, you need to refresh the page before checking for any story updates. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Pull down on the home screen and wait for a few seconds for Instagram to refresh.
2. Once refreshed successfully, verify if you can see the unavailable story.
If you are still seeing the error message, move on to the next fix.
Check Your Internet
If the page is not refreshing properly or the story is still not showing even after refreshing the feed, then you need to check your internet connection because if your internet is slow, you may see errors.
If you are unsure about the internet connectivity, you can try checking it on a speed-checking website like Speedtest.org or others. If you are receiving slow speeds, try restarting your modem or switching to another network.
Restart The App
You can try restarting the Instagram app, as it helps many users fix the issue. To do so, simply close the app and remove it from the background. Wait for a few seconds, then reopen the app.
Restart Your Phone
If restarting the app does not work, then you can try restarting your phone, as the issue might be related to the phone and not to the app. Restart your handset and check whether the issue has been fixed or not. If not, move on to the next fix.
Clear the Cache
Our device collects temporary data from applications like Instagram, which is called cache. Over a period of time, this becomes cluttered and causes issues like This Story is Unavailable. To clear the cache data, follow the below steps:
1. On the home screen, long-press the Instagram app icon, then select the ‘i’ icon or App Info.
2. Click on Storage & Cache, Manage Storage, or Clear Data, depending on the option your phone has.
3. Finally, tap on Clear Cache to remove the cache data.
If you are an iPhone user, you need to offload the app by going to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Instagram > Offload App.
Update the App
Instagram regularly releases app updates to fix bugs or glitches and improve performance. If you are using an outdated app, it might be the reason for the story unavailable issue. Here’s how you can update the app:
1. Open the Google Play Store or App Store.
2. Search for Instagram, then hit the search button.
3. If there is an update available, click on Update to download it.
Log Out and Log In Again
Logging out and logging in again on the Instagram app gives a fresh start to your account. Hence, you can try doing so by following the simple steps:
1. Open the Instagram app on your device.
2. Click on your profile icon at the bottom to visit your profile feed.
3. Tap on the three-line icon at the top and select Settings & Privacy.
4. On the next page, tap on the Log Out button.
5. Now, you will be logged out of your account. Wait for a few moments then log in again using the credentials.
Reinstall the App
Reinstalling the app gives a fresh start to the app as when we uninstall an app, it removes all the data associated with it and can help you fix the problem. Here’s how you can reinstall the app.
1. Long-press the Instagram app icon and select Uninstall or Remove.
2. Confirm it the uninstallation.
3. Restart your device, then open the Google Play Store or App Store.
4. Search for Instagram and click on Install on the app page to download it.
Check From Another Account
If you have more than one account, check if you are able to see the story on Instagram from another account or not. You can also ask a mutual friend to check if they can view the story or not. If you can see the story from your second account, the problem is with the primary account and not with the story.
Access Instagram From Another Device
You can also try accessing Instagram from another device, and then check the story, as there might be some issues with the device and not with Instagram.
Report the Issue
If none of the above methods work, you need to report the issue to the support team, as they can assist you in fixing the problem. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the Instagram app on your device.
2. Click on your profile icon at the bottom to navigate to your profile feed.
3. Tap on the hamburger menu, then select Settings and Privacy.
4. Scroll down and tap on Help under More Info and Support.
5. Choose Report a problem. If the shake to report screen appears, tap on Report problem without shaking.
6. Finally, describe the issue, then tap Send to report it.
(Resolved) This Story is Unavailable on Instagram
So, this is how you can fix “This Story is Unavailable” on Instagram. I hope the article helps you fix the problem; if so, share it with your friends and family.