Facebook is essentially a platform where people can connect and interact with their friends and family easily. And this often includes friends and family members that you have not seen for quite a while.
To make connecting with them easier, Facebook has a Suggested Friends feature. It generally works by recommending old friends and casual acquaintances that you might want to add as Facebook friends.
But off lately, the Suggested Friends feature has begun recommending random people as suggested friends. If you want to turn these suggestions off, here’s what you’ll need to do.
Stop Facebook Friend Suggestions on Laptop
If you’re using Facebook’s desktop website on your Windows 10 PC or Mac, you can turn friend suggestions off in your account settings. To do this, open the Facebook website and sign in to your account.
- Once you’ve signed in, click the down arrow menu icon in the top-right corner. From the drop-down menu, select Settings & Privacy >> Settings.
- In the Facebook Settings menu, click Notifications option on the left.
- Now, Select People You May Know in the Notifications Settings menu.
- Facebook prompts you with suggested friends in various ways. If you want to stop specific friend suggestions (but don’t mind the in-app suggestions), click the slider next to the various options listed (including push, email, and SMS notifications).
- If you want to stop all friend suggestions on Facebook, select the slider next to the Allow Notifications On Facebook option. This will stop all notifications.
With this setting disabled, Facebook will no longer suggest other user accounts for you to add as friends on the Facebook website or in the Facebook mobile app.
Disable Suggestions on Smartphone or Tablet
If you prefer to use Facebook on your Android, iPhone, or iPad, you can change your account settings to disable friend suggestions in the app itself. This setting is account-wide, so any changes you make in the app will also appear on the website.
- Open Facebook app on your smartphone or tablet and sign in (if you haven’t already).
- Tap the hamburger menu icon in the top-right corner, which is positioned below the Facebook Messenger icon.
- Scroll to the bottom, then tap Settings & Privacy >> Settings.
- To access your Facebook suggestion settings, scroll through the Settings menu and tap the Notification Settings option.
- In the Notification Settings menu, tap the People You May Know option.
- Just like the settings menu on the Facebook website, you’ll be able to disable individual friend suggestion notifications by push, email, or SMS by tapping the slider next to each option.
- If you want to disable all friend suggestions on Facebook, however, tap the Allow Notifications On Facebook slider.
- You’ll need to confirm that you do want to stop all friend suggestion notifications. Tap Turn Off to confirm.
- The slider will turn gray when the setting is disabled, stopping all friend suggestions on your account.