Windows 11 Background Apps Settings, How to Disable Background Apps on Laptop or PC, How to Disable All Background Apps in Windows 11 –
Windows 11 is the latest major release Windows Operating System developed by Microsoft. It is a successor to Windows 10 which was released back in 2015.
Running applications in the background is a great way to multi-task but not every app on PC needs to run in the background. Just like smartphones, disabling background apps is quite important on Windows PCs too.
So, if you are also one of those who don’t know how to disable background apps in Windows 11, read the article till the end as we have listed the ways to do so.
How to Disable All Background Apps in Windows 11?
Using Settings App
The easiest way to disable background apps in Windows 11 is from the Settings App. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Start menu on your system then click on Settings (or the gear icon) to open it. Alternatively, you can open the settings by pressing Windows+I key.
- Click on the Apps from the sidebar then choose Apps & Features.
- Tap on the three-dot icon next to the app you want to disable.
- Click on the Advanced options.
- Here, you will see Background apps permissions.
- Click on the drop-down menu and select Never from the menu.
- Now, repeat the same steps for all the apps you want to disable from the background.
Note: If you are not able to see the Advanced options in the setting, it probably means that the app does not support the background app permission.
Using Battery Settings
If you are using a Windows laptop, then you can also disable the background apps using the battery settings. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Start menu and click on Settings (or the gear icon) to launch Settings on your system.
- Tap on System from the sidebar then select Power & Battery.
- Click on Battery Usage under the Battery section.
- Here, you will see all the apps along with their battery usage.
- Click on the three-dots icon next to the app you want to disable then select Manage Background activity.
- Tap on the drop-down menu for Background apps permissions and select Never from the menu.
Using Group Policy Editor
If your computer has multiple users, you might want to disable background apps for all users. You can easily do it using the Group Policy Editor. Here’s how you can do it.
Note: Group Policy Editor is not available in the Windows 11 Home edition.
- Press the Windows+R key on your PC to open the run window.
- Type gpedit.msc in the open field and click OK.
- Now, use the left pane to go to the following folder: “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Privacy”.
- Here, you will see Let Windows apps run in the background option, double-click on it.
- Click on the Disabled from the given options and click on Apply then tap OK.
Use Task Manager
While you can other methods to disable Windows Store apps from the background, if you want to traditional desktop apps, you can do it by using the Task Manager. Here’s how you can do it.
- Press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key to open the Task Manager.
- Click on More details at the bottom to expand it.
- Tap on the Startup from the top and choose the app you want to disable then click disable to disable it.
It will prevent the app from launching as your PC boots up.
Use Windows Registry to Disable All Background Apps in Windows 11
Windows Registry is a database on your computer to store low-level details about Windows processes. You can use it to tweak the registry files to disable background apps. Here’s how you can do it.
- Press the Windows+R key to open the run window.
- Type regedit in the open field and click OK.
- Use the address bar to go to the following address: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppPrivacy
- If you are not able to find the AppPrivacy, right-click on the Windows and select New and then Key and rename it as AppPrivacy.
- After right, right-click anywhere on the empty space, go to New and select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter LetAppsRunInBackground in the value name and enter 2 in the Value data then click on OK.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC to save these changes.
You can always revert these settings by deleting the LetAppsRunInBackground key.
Conclusion: Disable All Background Apps in Windows 11
So, these are all the ways to disable all background apps in the Windows 11 system. We hope the article helped you in disabling it on your system.