Change your WhatsApp number without losing data, Change your phone number on WhatsApp, How to change your WhatsApp number without losing chats and media files –
WhatsApp, owned by Facebook, is a popular instant messaging app around the globe with over 2 billion active users on board as of 2021.
Since WhatsApp needs a phone number to register, what if someone wants to change their mobile number, what happens to the old chats, and data?
If you will directly register your new phone number on WhatsApp, you will not be able to recover your old chats and media files. Moreover, it would also be a tough task to tell each of your WhatsApp contact that you have changed your number.
Change WhatsApp Number Without Losing Chats
Well, WhatsApp allows users to change their phone numbers using an in-app feature. With this change phone number feature, WhatsApp will migrate your account info, groups, and settings with the new number without losing your old chats and data.
Using this Change Number feature, the app will inform people in your contact list that you have updated your phone number.
In this article, we have shared a step-by-step guide on how to change your phone number on WhatsApp and transfer all data to your new account easily. You can also notify all your WhatsApp contacts (including groups) and inform them about the change automatically.
How to Add New No. on WhatsApp
WhatsApp has made a dedicated ‘Change Number’ feature. This feature lets you easily move your account to a new number without losing your chats and media files.
You don’t even need to backup and restore your WhatsApp chats as this feature will automatically do it for you. Using this feature, you can also select who you want to notify that you have changed your WhatsApp number.
Before changing your phone number: Make sure your new phone number can receive SMS and phone calls.
Here’s how you can change your phone number easily without losing chats and media field:
- Open the WhatsApp app on your smartphone.
- Go to the Settings menu (you can find it by tapping three-dots menu on the top-right corner).
- Click on Account option and then click on Change Number.
- It will ask you to confirm whether you are able to receive SMS or phone calls on your new number.
- Click on Next button.
- Now, Enter your old and new numbers.
- Click on Next to go to the final stage.
- Now, WhatsApp will ask you whether you want your contacts to be notified about your new number.
- If yes, then toggle on the Notify contacts.
- You can choose from ‘All Contacts, Contacts I have chat with, or custom numbers’.
- WhatsApp will automatically notify groups about changing of your number.
- Now, Click on Done.
- You will now receive a six-digit verification code which you need to enter.
- After registration is complete, you WhatsApp chats and media files will be available on your new number.
Done, your WhatsApp number will be changed successfully without losing your chats history and media files.