Are you seeing an error message stating, “Messenger Isn’t Responding” while trying to open and use the app on your phone? If so, in this read, you will learn how to fix the “Messenger is not responding” issue.
How to Fix Messenger Isn’t Responding Issue?
Messenger is an instant messaging app and service developed by Meta Platforms. Messenger is connected to Facebook, and users will have to log in to their Facebook account in order to sign in and use Messenger. The platform allows us to send messages, and make voice and video calls to other users. Users can also communicate with new users by their usernames or names.
There can be various reasons why you are seeing the not responding error message whether it’s a bug/glitch on the app or server issues. In this article, we have added the ways by which you can fix the problem of Messenger Isn’t Responding.
Force Close the App
First of all, you need to force-close the Messenger app as some users have reported that after force-stopping the Messenger app, they are able to use it without any issues. Follow the below steps to force-close the app on your device.
1. Open the Settings app on your Android phone.
2. Go to Apps then click on Manage Apps or All Apps.
3. Tap on Messenger from the list of apps to open App Info.
4. Alternatively, on the home screen, long press the Messenger app icon then tap on the ‘i’ icon to open the App Info.
5. Here, you will see a Force Stop option, tap on it.
6. Wait for a few seconds then reopen the Messenger app and your issue should be fixed.
1. On the home screen of the iPhone, Swipe up from the bottom and hold.
2. Swipe up the Messenger app window to remove it.
3. Reopen the app and your issue should be fixed.
Restart Your Device
If force-closing does not work then you need to restart your smartphone as restarting fixes most of the issues a user faced on their device. Follow the below steps to restart your phone.
Restart iPhone X and later
1. Long-press the Side button and Volume Down buttons at once.
2. Release the buttons when the slider appears.
3. Move the slider to turn off your iPhone.
4. Wait for a few seconds and hold down the Side button until the Apple logo appears to restart your device.
Restart Android Phones
1. Long-press the Power button or Side button on an Android phone.
2. Tap on Restart from the given options on the screen.
3. Wait for a few seconds to finish the restarting process.
Clear Cache Data
You can also try clearing the cache data as it fixes most of the problems a user faced on an app. Follow the below steps to clear the Messenger cache on your device.
1. Open the Settings app on your phone.
2. Click on Apps then tap on Manage Apps or All Apps.
3. Tap on Messenger from the list of apps to open App Info.
4. Tap on Clear Data or Mange Storage or Storage Usage.
5. Finally, click on Clear Cache to clear cache data.
iOS devices don’t have the option to clear the cache data. Instead, they have an Offload App feature that clears all the cached data and reinstalls the app. Here’s how you can Offload the Messenger app.
1. Navigate to Settings >> General >> iPhone Storage.
2. Here, you will see Messenger, tap on it.
3. Now, click on the Offload app option.
4. Confirm it by tapping on it again.
5. Finally, tap on the Reinstall app.
Update the Messenger App
If clearing cache data does not fix your problem then you need to update the Messenger as app updates come with bug/glitch fixes and improvements. Follow the below steps to update the Messenger app on your device.
1. Open Google Play Store or App Store on your phone.
2. Search for Messenger in the search box and hit enter.
3. Click on the Update button to download the latest version of the app.
Reinstall the Messenger App
If there is no update available for the app then you need to reinstall the Messenger app as some users have reported that uninstalling and installing the app again helps them in fixing the problem. Follow the below steps to update it.
1. Long press the Messenger app icon and tap on Uninstall or Remove.
2. Confirm it by tapping on Uninstall or Remove button.
3. Once uninstalled, open Google Play Store or App Store on your phone.
4. Search for Messenger in the search box and hit enter.
5. Click on the Install button to download the Messenger app.
6. Once installed, open the app then log in to your account and your issue should be fixed.
Use Messenger on your PC
Use a VPN
Another way to fix the problem is by connecting to a VPN in a different country like if you are from the US then try connecting to UK or India and vice versa.
Once connected to a VPN, force close the Messenger app then restart your device, then open the app, your issue should be fixed and you will be able to send photos on the platform.
Check if it’s down
If the above method does not work then there are chances that the Messenger servers are down or there is some technical glitch/bug. So, check whether it’s down or not. Here’s how you can check if Messenger is down or not.
1. Open a browser on your device and visit an outage detector website (like Downdetector, IsTheServiceDown, etc.)
2. Once opened, search for Messenger in the search box and hit enter or tap on the search icon.
3. Now, you will need to check the spike of the graph. A huge spike on the graph means a lot of users are experiencing an error on Messenger and it’s most likely down.
4. If the Messenger servers are down, wait for some time (or a few hours) as it can take a few hours for Messenger to resolve the issue.
Install an Older Version (Android)
Some users have also reported that installing an older version of Messenger fixes the problem. Here’s how you can do it on your Android phone.
1. Uninstall the Messenger app from your Android phone.
2. Open a browser and visit an apk download website like uptodown.com or apkmirror.com
3. Search for Messenger and Install a previous version of Messenger.
4. Once downloaded, log in to your account and your issue should be fixed.
Conclusion: Messenger Isn’t Responding
So, these are the ways by which you can fix the Messenger Isn’t Responding Issue. I hope you find this article helpful; if you did, share it with your friends and family.
For more related articles and updates, join our Telegram Group and be a member of the DailyTechByte family. Also, follow us on Google News, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for quick & latest updates.
You May Also Like: